- "My daughter has been coming since she was 4 and loves it. It's given her focus, discipline and strength, within a supportive environment and done wonders for her confidence." Claire, North Sydney
- "My son and I have been regulars with MMAA for just over 1 year and can honestly say we have enjoyed every session. Each class is different and always leaves me feeling like I have had a seriously good workout whether it be through fitness training, a focus on technique or sparring. Everyone who attends is made to feel very welcome and it is a fun place to train and get to know people. In short, a great academy, great for fitness and full of great people! A fantastic job Sir - well done!" David, Neutral Bay
- "My two sons, 7 and 5, joined Little Ninjas over a year ago, and I am amazed at how much they have progressed and developed in that short time." Lisa, Cremorne Point
- "Red Dragons has been amazing for our son, Gabriel – it’s really helping him with his confidence and he loves having a new skill." Mark, Cremorne
- "MMAA's junior class is fantastic for Tom. It teaches discipline and respect whilst giving Tom a new skill and helping him to stay fit and active. It's a winner all round!" Emma, Neutral Bay
- "Olivia has created a safe nurturing environment for both children and adults and whole families to grow and achieve at their own pace. The academy promotes responsibility, respect and focus whilst generating a current of playful and infectious fun throughout many of the sessions." Melissa, Mosman
- "The development in my children's fitness and self-discipline since they started karate last year has been dramatic. Mosman Martial Arts Academy has not only taught them a martial art in the most professional and welcoming environment, but they have found a discipline that they can study for the rest of their lives and have made real friends in the process." Saeed, Cammeray
- "I cannot praise Olivia and the team enough; My son joined the class about 4 months ago and the discipline has helped him enormously. Friends have even remarked that he is a changed child. More importantly he thoroughly enjoys every minute." Sophie, Balgowlah
- "Our two children joined Mosman Martial Arts Academy almost half a year ago and in that time they have learned so much ..not just about karate but also important morals and life skills. They have grown in confidence and made some great friends ..we are so pleased that they are part of such a fantastic well run team!" Lia, Mosman
- "My youngest grandsons Chris, 7, and Matt, 6, joined MMAA's Little Samurai in the summer. The boys have learned so much in such a short time, they love learning different moves and disciplines each week." Rodney, Cremorne
- "Very professional, excellent tuition. It has helped my little boy to become more confident and he really enjoys attending every week. Thank you." Kasey, Neutral Bay
- "I'm particuarly impressed by the emphasis on controlling mind and body and helping children understand the strength they have but also how to use it in a positive way. Keep up the excellent work!" Bill, Neutral Bay
- "As parents we wouldn't hesitate in recommending Mosman Martial Arts Academy." Sarah & Chris, Mosman
- "Without Little Ninjas Noah would still have very little coordination and Kian would still be the shy boy who spoke in whispers. On top of all this they are as fit as fiddles." Emma, Neutral Bay
- "Since joining Mosman Martial Arts Academy some months ago, my two five year old twin boys have come on in leaps and bounds. It has helped teach them discipline and given them more confidence overall, but most of all they love it. Thank you!" Peter, Cremorne
- "My 5 year old son loves his karate lessons with Mosman Martial Arts Academy and looks forward to them every week. Each lesson is well organised, with a mix of learning and play – it's a great way to promote self-confidence and respect for others." Martine, North Sydney
- "My daughter has gained confidence, learned self discipline and has made new friends. Mosman Martial Arts Academy is an excellent club with sessions run by highly skilled instructors that know the children and their strengths well." Dom, Seaforth
- "Our two daughters have been members for a almost one year now. They both love the classes and are so dedicated to progressing and achieving in their gradings. Olivia and all the team are fantastic." Danielle - Mosman
Karate for Kids the best way to prevent bullying
Grow Confidence. Focus & Discipline. Build Stength & Coordination. Reward & Recognition. Socialisation. Safe Environment.
1 in 4 school students (27%) have reported being bullied in Australia. Children as young as 3 can become victims of bullying. 200 million children and youth around the world are being bullied by their peers. Kids who are bullied are 3 times more likely to show depressive symptoms.
On the hunt for karate classes? Are you looking for a fun activity that can teach your child coordination and confidence? Our classes have just what you need!
Mosman Martial Arts Academy Youth Program offers an age-specific program, starting at age 3. This is an award-winning kids martial arts program. As an age-specific program, classes are divided into age groups that meet each child’s developmental, physical, social and emotional needs.
Children ages 3 to 5 years old are taught fundamental skills such as listening, structure, discipline, balance, strength and coordination.
At 6 to 9, youth then further develop their skill set to include increased focus, self-awareness, leadership skills, confidence, and self-defense.
At 10 to 14 years of age, students are increasing their self-defense skills, physical fitness capabilities, and confidence, making them bully proof for their middle school years. And at 10 - 14 years of age, students are being molded into the leaders of communities while engaging in a full mixed martial arts syllabus.
Martial Arts Benefits For Kids (detailed)
1: Fostering Self-Discipline
One of the central tenets of all forms of the martial arts is an absolute focus on self-discipline. Today's kids are so accustomed to receiving instant gratification that lessons in self-restraint and discipline aren't always easy to come by. Kids with a martial arts background, however, are continually reminded of how essential self-discipline is.
2: Boosting Socialization Skills
Kids who don't always thrive in highly social environments may find it easier to get to know people and make new friends when they're in a room filled with peers who share a common interest. The kids on the playground may not always have much common ground, but devotees to the martial arts are able to get to know one another through shared pursuits. Partner-driven forms like karate can also foster camaraderie, as they force kids to pair off and build their skills together.
3: Encouraging Physical Activity
Limiting screen time is a great idea when it comes to getting kids off the couch and encouraging them to be more active, but it only goes so far. Enrolling an inactive child in such a physically demanding pastime not only discourages the sedentary lifestyle she's used to, but also gives her an enjoyable activity that inspires her to keep moving.
4: Learning to Set and Achieve Goals
Most forms of martial arts are based around an accomplishment system of colored belts that signify the wearer's degree of skill. When your child strives toward each new belt, he's learning valuable lessons about setting and reaching his goals.
5: Increased Self-Esteem
Confidence comes with achievement, so your child's self-esteem level will get a boost with every new move he masters and every belt he earns. Kids who struggle with a low sense of self-worth usually become more confident as time progresses while they're enrolled in a martial arts class.
6: Instilling a Sense of Respect
Learning any martial arts style will require your child to show her instructor unflinching respect. Today's kid culture doesn't always include respect for authority, adults or those in advanced positions. When she goes to her karate class, though, your child will be learning lessons in respect along with new moves.
7: Encouraging Non-Violent Conflict Resolution
Thinking that martial arts instruction promotes violent behavior is justified if your only experience with the activity comes from television or movies. In fact, many defensive styles teach kids peaceful, non-violent conflict resolution skills and emphasize the importance of avoiding a physical altercation.
8: Improving Listening Skills
In order to master the skills she's being taught and advance through the belt ranks, your child will have to exercise superior listening skills. Kids who aren't always adept when it comes to paying attention to what they're told can benefit from the verbal instruction and one-on-one work in her dojo.
9: Developing Teamwork Skills
Whether he's breaking boards to get a new belt or sparring in a practice setting to master a new maneuver, there are few things that your child does in his martial arts classes that will be done on his own. Working together to learn new things and accomplish goals is an important life lesson for kids to learn, and instruction in the martial arts can help your child learn that lesson.
10: Improvement in Other Areas of Life
The benefits of martial arts training don't end in the dojo. The boost in confidence, increased fitness level and new cooperation skills will also help your child navigate the academic and social aspects of school, affect his behavior at home and have an all-around good influence on him as he develops into an adult.
The ABC’s of Life
Learning a martial art is one of the best ways for a child to develop their confidence and character. The dedication and discipline required to master karate will instil in your child the ABC’s of life: Attitude, Behaviour and Character. These traits are essential for success not just at home and in school, but in life. Learning these traits early will help your child develop into a mature, well-rounded and responsible individual.
We constantly receive feedback from delighted parents, citing a range of improvements they have noticed in their child since picking up karate:
- - Improved self-confidence
- - Raised self-esteem
- - Higher grades and better school reports
- - Better behaviour
- - Improved focus and concentration
- - Improved attitude and a more positive approach to challenges
- - Transferable leadership and teamwork skills
- - An overall sense of wellbeing
- - Improved fitness, coordination and flexibility
- - Raised awareness of anti-bullying strategies
- - Effective self-defence
And the best thing about it all? The kids love their karate!
Equal Emphases on Mind, Body and Spirit. A Unique Approach to Teaching.
All martial arts schools can teach your child how to kick and punch, but our main focus is on the inner teachings of karate: the development of sound mind, body and spirit. Our classes provide so much more than just the skills required to cope with physical threats. We believe that the biggest challenge facing a child is not an external threat, like the local bully, but internal. Very often, a child’s own self-doubt, fear and lack of confidence could prevent him or her from achieving their full potential.
At Mosman Academy, we work on a system of positive rewards, recognising a child’s achievements and encouraging them to aim ever higher. By nurturing their sense of self, we get the children to recognise their own strengths, boosting their self-confidence and morale. We have seen painfully shy pupils progress dramatically, to the point of performing in public demonstrations in front of a crowd of hundreds of people!
Our class structure forms a strong foundation of discipline and mutual respect. The upbeat and exciting lessons with our focus on fun keeps the students engaged and eager for more. With our traditional belt ranking system, students learn to set achievable goals, and to appreciate the importance of perseverance and hard work in the journey towards their black belt.
Apart from teaching real self-defence techniques, our lessons instil in students important life lessons that will stay with them through their lives. They will learn courtesy and respect, patience and tolerance towards others. They will learn to have the willpower to say “no” to unhealthy peer pressure. Above all else, they will learn that they are capable of achieving anything with firm self-belief and a can-do attitude.
Private Tuition Programmes
If your child is that kind of person that likes to see and get results fast then our private tuition packages may be perfect for you.
Each one of our private lessons with a certified instructor from Mosman Martial Arts Academy is equivalent to 3 regular group classes.
In a one to one session your kid will learn the most effective Karate, Kickboxing and Self-Protection techniques from our highest level programmes and our instructors will incorporate an intense workout that will also develop their strength, flexibility and endurance.
To find out more please contact us so we can qualify you as a potential student and discuss further with you the possibility of you being accepted as a private student and schedule your first session.
We'd love to meet you! Join us for a free trial class!
When your child joins our martial arts classes, they're not just filling a spot in an after-school activity. They have the opportunity to gain a lifelong discipline, a supportive peer base, and all the tools needed to navigate their ever-evolving world in a confident and conscientious way.
Are you living in Neutral Bay, Mosman, Cremorne or North Sydney?
Find out more...